“How do I take great product photography shots?”
It’s a good question! The right product photography shots are absolute game changes for a small business but taking the right shots can be trickier than it sounds.
“How hard can taking good product shots be?” You might think at first glance. However, there’s a lot that can impact your next product shoot. If you’re like most small business owners, white balance, light sources, apertures, and editing software aren’t your realm of expertise. That’s understandable, but it can complicate getting photos of your products since you really need to understand pre and post-production when shooting your product.
Don’t worry…we’re here to run you through the best practices for marketing photography and product shots! When we’re done, you’ll know everything you need to know about amazing product photography shots and how to incorporate them into your digital marketing plan.
Read on to learn more!
Product Photography & Digital Marketing
“Why do I need to use product photography in my marketing plan?”
Well, let us answer your question with a question. Do you remember the slogans of every single business you frequent? Of course you don’t.
However, do you recognize the logos, the ads, and the trade dress of most of those businesses? Odds are likelier that you remember these visual elements over slogans and other written descriptions.
That’s why visuals are so critical to your marketing plan. They simplify things for your viewer. No one wants to read what color your product is, how big it is, and what it looks like. A photo solves that problem immediately and often in a more impactful way! Remember, most website users will leave your website in under ten seconds if they don’t find what they’re looking for. To simplify things for your users, use one descriptive product shot to get the job done instead of a paragraph describing the product.
It’s not just a truism to say that product photos are game-changers. The data backs that claim up! Consider the following.
- Product photography shots sell more products. And no wonder! They’re a great resource for those considering purchasing from your brand. Over half of customers use product shots as one of their main resources when deciding to purchase! If you aren’t including quality images of your products on your website for your potential purchasers, you’re leaving them in the dark and sabotaging your online store performance.
- Product photography shots leave a bigger impression on your audience. Almost all eCommerce users believe photo quality is THE most important aspect of a product’s digital presence. If you aren’t putting your full effort into your product photography, you’re likely missing an opportunity to WOW your potential customers!
- Product photography shots improve overall website performance. A third of users will leave a site if they are not satisfied with the visuals they see. You don’t want users bouncing off your site on any page of your website, but you especially don’t want this on product pages! If your users are reading about your products, they’re probably pretty close to purchasing. Keep them on the page longer with great product shots!
- Product photography improves other aspects of your marketing. Web pages with better photos are more likely to be shared on social media and it’s no secret that photography in emails improves click-through rates! Getting your product shots right means you have amazing product collateral on hand for future marketing endeavors as well!
This is all well and good. You know you need to utilize impactful product photography shots now. But you still might be wondering….
“How do I take product photography shots?”
The Basics Of Great Product Photography
- Start With The Lighting. There’s a lot of magic that can be done with editing software, but poor lighting is a tough one to bounce back from. A good editor might be able to make small adjustments, but it’s easier to have the right lighting from the beginning than entirely touch up the shot after the fact.
- Have The Tools. Nothing against the average smartphone, but the camera and editing software in your pocket just isn’t enough to do your product photos justice. You need, at the very least, semi-professional quality equipment, but preferably professional caliber. Remember, users believe product photography shots are critically important to their website experience. If your product shots look like you snapped a few pics with an old flip phone, you’re probably not going to get the checkout. Trust us, use the best equipment you can. This is not the time to use the wrong tools.
- Don’t Overthink It. A photo of your products isn’t the time to make a modern-day Mona Lisa. A simple white background, clean light setup, a good light source, and a well-focused shot does wonders! The most important part of this is the actual product. Your customers are interested in the product in question and just need to make sure that they’re getting everything they need from your product photos. Keep the attention on the product.
- But Get Creative. We know, we know. We just contradicted ourselves. However, there is a fine line to walk between being straightforward and being boring. Your shots should be simple and highlight the product in question, but they don’t need to be boring. Think of a wine bottle with a wheel of cheese next to it, set against a white background. It’s not overly cluttered or noisy, but it does make a better impression! Think about your product photos through the lens of the viewer. Does a particular inventive setting or creative prop add something to the shot without distracting the viewer from your product, the belle of the ball? Then add it! If not, then it probably doesn’t need to be included.
JSL Marketing & Web Design For Amazing Product Photography
We hope you enjoyed our tips on digital marketing product shots and how to use them in your marketing strategy. However, we know that the next step in the process can still be daunting.
For one, you need the right equipment. If you don’t have the right tripod, editing software, camera, and lenses available, then you’re likely not going to get the right quality of shots. That could negatively impact your marketing performance!
The next challenge is lighting. If you aren’t a skilled photographer, you could easily take the wrong shots at the wrong time of day and drastically impact the white balance of your product shots. That’s a risk you just can’t take if you’re really trying to make the most of your digital marketing product shots.
That’s where we come in!
Our product photographers are ready to help you take amazing product shots today! All our photoshoots are…
- Strategically Planned
- Designed To Be As Stress-Free As Possible
- Efficiently Planned To Maximize Your Budget
- Creatively Designed For Optimum White Balance, Natural Light, Camera Angle, And More
- Shot By Professional Photographers
- Optimized For Social, Web, Mobile, and Email Sharing
- And More!
Product shots are also only just one form of digital photography you could utilize in your marketing! Talk to our photography experts for our formal recommendations on…
- Corporate Photography
- Location Photography
- Product Videography
- Brand Mission Videos
- & More!
Ready to get started? Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch!