Happy holidays from the JSL Marketing & Web Design team! We wish you and your family a safe and restful holiday season!
A lot happened this year. It was an eventful year for the country, the marketing industry, and the JSL team. Highs and lows aside, it was a productive year. We learned a lot about ourselves and the industry in 2020 and are so excited to share what we discovered about ourselves and our craft.
Thoughts from the JSL Marketing team
Tierney Mosier, Content Director:
“I am thankful that 2020 is almost over! Just kidding – actually, I am most thankful that 2020 was such a year of growth: personally, academically, and professionally. This year had many hurdles and was difficult in many ways, but it was also a year to slow down, stay inside with family, and refocus on goals and what is most important. There were tough times this year in almost every facet of life, but that makes me even more thankful for my family, our health, my job and team at JSL, and the years to come.”
Colin Mosier, VP of Marketing & Sales:
“Even though this was a different year than most, I still have a lot to be thankful for. This year, I have learned a lot more about myself and also found new ways to keep myself entertained when going out was not an option. I am also thankful for a number of personal milestones that were reached this year and I am excited to continue growing in 2021!”
Sarah Leff, President
“2020 was an interesting year, to say the least. And while we were able to come together as a team and finish the year strong, we are also very excited for 2021!
We’re looking forward to expanding our existing markets, especially in the San Diego area, and also reaching new areas as well. Besides expanding our reach, another goal that we have for 2021 is to continue growing our service offerings. We’re already a full-service marketing agency, but we’d love to grow our video production, photography, and brand development services, along with continually finding ways to improve, innovate, and reach new goals for our digital marketing and SEO clients.”
The Future of Marketing in 2021
2020 was a cataclysmic year for the old way of doing things in a lot of industries and marketing was no different. The combination of new technology and the COVID-19 pandemic has upended how we market. 2021 and beyond will look quite different from past years! Below are some of our thoughts on what we can expect in the digital marketing industry in 2021!
- Voice search: The percentage of consumers who use voice assistants continues to rise year after year. Voice search is an interesting part of an SEO plan and it’s one that most SEOs are not totally prepared for. Expect this shift to be the future of SEO soon.
- Mobile search: Mobile search is about 50% of all search terms at the moment. That will continue to rise in the next few years. By some estimates, mobile search will continue to rise closer to 85% or 90% of search in the next few years.
- Socially-conscious brands: 2020 was a great year for activism and that trend looks like it will continue into 2021 and the next few years. More and more brands will feel comfortable taking activist stances in the wake of the George Floyd protests of 2020 and consumers will become accustomed to seeing socially-conscious messaging in advertising. This will be new territory for a lot of brands, but it’s also an exciting development as well! Ensure you have a solid brand consultant who’s up to date on industry and social trends to help you navigate the intersection of advertising and activism.
Taking those predictions, we’ve also thought through our advice for brands in 2021.
- Strategy is now more important than ever: The recession of 2020 cut into the bottom lines of many small businesses. There’s little in the way of excess budget for most brands, which means that there’s no leeway for testing and shifting tactics. Research and planning will be critical for small businesses to prevent waste on unfruitful ideas. Take the time to properly research and plan a marketing strategy from the beginning to stay on budget in 2021.
- Brand recognition is a deciding factor for many consumers: Internet users are inundated with ads every day. By some estimate, the average American sees 3,000 ads in a day. Brand recognition will be what separates top local brands from the rest. Clean branding and an impactful logo will be critical for your business, especially at the local level.
- Focus is greater than reach: A lot of businesses become too focused on their reach and cast a wide net. This usually isn’t a productive strategy and wide-net brands go away frustrated after spinning the wheels too little in the way of results. A better approach is a laser-focused approach on your perfect customer, especially given how critical a cost-effective strategy is post-COVID-19 for most brands. Use Google Ad and email marketing campaigns to focus in on the most profitable customers.
- Talk to our team: Your business is unique and if we’ve learned anything from 2020, it’s that market conditions can shift rapidly! Our digital marketing experts are always happy to dive deep into your specific business situation and offer customized advice, based on whatever 2021 throws at you.
It was an eventful year. While it was a hectic year at times, we’re so grateful for what we learned in 2020 and wouldn’t change anything. As we near the end of the year, we’d like to thank you for reading and following the JSL Marketing & Web Design team in 2020. We appreciate your support and are excited to see what 2021 brings!
We wish you a very safe and memorable Christmas and a happy New Year!
The JSL Marketing & Web Design Team